• You are not logged in.
  • Root
  • » Django
  • » OODB with Django? Was Re: ZODB Anyone ? [RSS Feed]

#1 Nov. 20, 2005 12:43:27

Cheng Z.
Profile   Send e-mail  

OODB with Django? Was Re: ZODB Anyone ?

Informative pointer!I read the introduction of Moellus. Seems to me that it offers a evenquicker way of rapid prototyping. When we frequently change the modelduring cycles of rapid prototyping, there is no need to manuallyalter the tables in RDB to make it consistent with the model over andover again, since the model and the DB is one entity. Once thechanges to the model settle down, we can map it to a relationalimplementation (at least Moellus claims it's easy to do so). Thisway, we can gain both the speed in the development phase and thestability and performance in the deployment phase.- Cheng

On Nov 20, 2005, at 7:22 PM, mario ruggier wrote:One of these is the moellus package, that is a layer on top of thesmall Durus OODB (that is a ZODB-inspired OODB, but intentionallysimpler), that organizes items (objects) in containers (tables).The package allows you to define an object model, similar to anORM. However, you can think of this as an ORM without the mappinglayer, as your model *is* your database. Other advantages you getfor free are real object references, as well as typically difficult-to-have features such as "mutable compound primary keys". Moellusis at:<http://ruggier.org/software/moellus/>

#2 Nov. 23, 2005 07:55:14

mario r.
Profile   Send e-mail  

OODB with Django? Was Re: ZODB Anyone ?

That's what the original motivation for it was, rapid prototyping. Butalso because for a specific application I needed arichly-relationshipped (tm) model, and one that does some heavyprocessing on many related objects, and one (with its data) that can beeasily adapted and evolved. I thought I would need at some point toswitch to relational, for reasons such as performance, but I have foundthat it is not necessary, so I have not done it. In any case, I do notthink that sql will help such an application anyway, as my impressionis that most of the performance gain you get from doing the pure queryparts (that btw are a lot more complicated, and less maintainable, thancleanly traversing the object model) will probably be lost anyway inbuilding your object graph in memory, that you anyway must do. But, Ihave not implemented the same app in both ways to be able to measureanything properly.On Nov 20, 2005, at 1:42 PM, Cheng Zhang wrote:Informative pointer!I read the introduction of Moellus. Seems to me that it offers a evenquicker way of rapid prototyping. When we frequently change the modelduring cycles of rapid prototyping, there is no need to manually alterthe tables in RDB to make it consistent with the model over and overagain, since the model and the DB is one entity. Once the changes tothe model settle down, we can map it to a relational implementation(at least Moellus claims it's easy to do so). This way, we can gainboth the speed in the development phase and the stability andperformance in the deployment phase.- Cheng

On Nov 20, 2005, at 7:22 PM, mario ruggier wrote:One of these is the moellus package, that is a layer on top of thesmall Durus OODB (that is a ZODB-inspired OODB, but intentionallysimpler), that organizes items (objects) in containers (tables). Thepackage allows you to define an object model, similar to an ORM.However, you can think of this as an ORM without the mapping layer,as your model *is* your database. Other advantages you get for freeare real object references, as well as typically difficult-to-havefeatures such as "mutable compound primary keys". Moellus is at:<http://ruggier.org/software/moellus/>

• Root
  • » Django
  • » OODB with Django? Was Re: ZODB Anyone ? [RSS Feed]

Board footer

Moderator control

Enjoy the 24th of April
PoweredBy

The Forums are managed by develissimo stuff members, if you find any issues or misplaced content please help us to fix it. Thank you! Tell us via Contact Options
Leave a Message
Welcome to Develissimo Live Support